Through inclusive design and engineering, we aim to empower the widest audience to self-serve via digital channels; ensuring our clients provide the best possible customer service, by providing expert consultation and building best-in-class, accessible, digital experiences.
We are looking for an experienced mid-level frontend developer, looking to continue development towards senior.
You will be joining a progressive, cross discipline, integrated frontend team delivering the next generation of performant, highly accessible, user interfaces, for our clients across regulated industries (finance, water, energy), as well as a number of established UK consumer brands and charities.
As part of a fully integrated frontend team of designers and developers you will be immediately involved in delivering high quality UI components to the backend team for integration into our strategic platforms (Sitecore, Episerver and Umbraco).
Essential skills and Experience
- You will have advanced knowledge of CSS; the use of Sass pre-processing to create well structured, scalable stylesheets; understanding of organisational approaches such as ITCSS and the use of modular architecture approaches like BEM, OOCSS for managing large pattern libraries.
- Experience of using templating languages to author frontend components (e.g. Handlebars, Mustache, Nunjucks).
- You will have a solid grasp of modern frontend build tooling with experience of tools and technologies such as npm, gulp, webpack, Babel, module bundling.
- Understand XHR/AJAX and the use of libraries such as AXIOS to administer asynchronous requests to the server and understand how to process responses.
- Experienced in the use of Git version control to manage and maintain ordered code delivery.
- Function as lead frontend developer on projects, providing a primary point of contact for the project team on all aspects of frontend.
- Responsible for working with the rest of frontend to maintain and progress standards of development whilst demonstrating disciplined alignment to internal coding standards and technology stack.
- Administer pull requests and provide peer code reviews to other members of frontend.
- Providing estimates for front-end work to feed into sales proposals.
- Although this is not primarily a client facing role you may occasionally be required to represent frontend for the project team in client meetings on site or at client’s offices.
The following skills and experience would be representative of an ideal candidate.
- Understanding of agile development approach and the application of its ceremonies such as stand-ups, retrospectives, show-and-tell.
- Understanding of design systems and development of component-based pattern libraries to support them. (N.B – We utilise a modified version of Fractal for pattern library-based frontend development.)
- Use of JIRA to manage project workflow and status visibility.
- Handling and optimisation of graphics and other web assets such as SVGs and fonts
- Familiarity with build and deployment tools such as TeamCity and Octopus
- Experience with our core platforms Sitecore, Episerver, Umbraco.
- This is a fulltime, UK based, permanent role working from Mando offices in Liverpool City Centre (though working from home under present Covid-19 conditions).
- Reporting to Head of Frontend
- As part of our standard recruitment process applications meeting our preferred criteria will undertake a telephone interview initially. Successful candidates will proceed to a full interview with Head of Frontend and be expected to undertake a technical assessment. Candidates who are successful will have a final discussion with Head of Frontend and Experience Director prior to a formal offer.
- Our interview process will require you to provide examples of work you have done and explain the technical characteristics to explore your knowledge and experience.
- During the current Covid-19 pandemic we may not require candidates to physically attend interviews, however you will be required to have access to a computer to enable video based communication (e.g. Zoom) in addition to undertaking a modified technical assessment.
- Salary and benefits will be subject to experience and discussed as part of the interview process.