Job Description: HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT & TEST
The Head of Development & Test role here at Mando is charged with maximising the quality and reliability of the services we provide, by ensuring that strong development practices are in place and are always rigorously followed. Maintaining and improving Mando’s development capability.
The key part of the role is integrating both the development and Test teams and pushing Mando forward in regard to:
- Test driven development (TDD)
- Test automation
- Considering things like Behaviour Drive development
We’re looking for someone with experience in consulting on DevOps pipelines and setting up things like Continuous Integration and Continuous Development processes and tooling (CI/CD)
Its is extremely important that the suitable candidate for this role is someone who really gets that their success comes from making other people successful and they have a passion for all levels of their team: grads, juniors, mids, Seniors, tech leads and dept leads and they have a vision for nurturing everyone
- You would be responsible for building a well-structured, dedicated Software Development whilst focusing on cultural improvements and increasing overall output and quality
- You will ensure that development activities are managed closely to time and budgets, and that exceptions are communicated effectively to the relevant stakeholders
- Manage and lead client facing engagements at all levels and be trusted to deliver to customer expectation with honesty, transparency and support for all future engagements
- Leading, coaching and cascading Mando vision to develop and change people culture and environment
- You will become an ambassador for your department, promoting the value of individuals contributions and the purpose of the department overall
- Collaborate with Developers, Testers, Architects, Product Owners and leadership, to assist with design and product delivery and manage implementation of agreed architecture and coding standards
- Ensuring that effective development standards are implemented, documented and followed by the development team
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of the development function within Mando and ensuring that the capabilities available, internally and externally, remain aligned to the vision and objectives of Mando
- Demonstrates Mando as technology thought leaders, through internal and external contributions - for example writing blogs, networking, speaking at industry events or user groups
- Build strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Support collaborative teamwork with colleagues to ensure that development efforts are aligned with Mando
- Be accountable for managing development projects and resources
- Experience in building Agile teams
- Demonstrable experience with relevant frameworks
- Demonstrable experience in leading teams of developers
- Experience creating, testing and utilising APIs
- Track record of delivering outstanding IT service and technical project delivery
- Have been in a hands-on technologist role in the past with practical experience in a number of the following - SDLC, Infrastructure, IT Ops, Cloud, IT Sec, E-Comms. using Microsoft technologies
- To be proactive, methodical, well organised and able to work to demanding deadlines across a number of simultaneous activities. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of stakeholder and to share complex technical concepts with a non-technical audience
- A decision maker, but where the decisions are based upon evidence and data
- Ability to think strategically but act pragmatically and proactively
- The ability to manage and priorities across multiple sources of change
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- To thrive in a fast-moving environment and be personally resilient in dealing with the changing demands of a dynamic role.
Life at Mando Agency is fast-paced and we have high expectations of each other. We live and breathe the digital solutions we’re working on and take our responsibilities to our customers very seriously. That doesn’t mean we’re machines though .... It is really important to us that we have a culture of looking out for one another and create a positive environment for us all.
We've taken some time to think about who we are. Our internal values are the principles we benchmark ourselves against, as individuals and as a team. They align us and inform how we perform and guide the quality control of what we deliver. They are also values to inspire and encourage development of skills.
We are insightful, collaborative momentum makers - does this sound like you?
To fit within the team culture and demonstrate the right character, we expect you to:
- Challenge: What are the key risks and what are we doing about them? Are we asking the ‘stupid’ questions to prevent misunderstandings? Are we forward thinking and asking the questions the client will ask before they ask them? Are we challenging the priorities of tickets to ensure we prioritise and manage resource effectively internally? Are we confident that Mando have done all they can to resolve an incident or service request? Are our decisions adding the right value to Mando and the client?
- Communicate and collaborate: Is everyone clear on what’s expected? Have we adapted our communication to meet the needs of the issue and customer? Does our communication provide valuable and accurate information to the client? Do we understand the response back to our client to ensure that we are able to articulate a valid response back to the client? Are we confident in next steps following calls with a client? Are we confident in the decisions we are making?
- Support the wider team: Are we bringing calm authority and clear-thinking to the process? Have we learned from mistakes? Are we setting the team and client up for success? Are we building long standing and trusting relationships with clients? Are we acting as a support branch for our clients?
Here at Mando we offer a wide range of benefits some of them include
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Personal training budget
- Flexible working hours
- Three annual social events